Your Passport to Overseas Driving
The International Driving Permit (IDP) is recognised worldwide as a valuable document identifying motorists as legally-licensed drivers.
While the Singapore driving licence is recognised in many countries, an IDP can minimise inconvenience for drivers especially in countries where English is not commonly spoken. Containing driving terms in various languages, IDP makes communication with car rental companies and other authorities so much easier. It is also a useful form of photo identification for the driver.
For ease of convenience, Singapore driving licence holders who intend to drive in a foreign country are recommended to apply for an IDP. The IDP is valid for one year from the date of issue.
Foreigners who wish to convert their licence to a Singapore driving licence, please click here or call the Singapore Traffic Police at 6547 0000 for more information.
IDP fee: $20
Conditions of Issue
- Singaporean applicants must present BOTH a valid Singapore driving licence and NRIC.
- In addition to a valid Singapore driving licence, foreigners must present an Employment Pass / FIN Card with at least 6 months’ validity.
- The IDP cannot be issued to holders of foreign driving licences. They must apply for the IDP in the country that issued their driving licence.
- To apply online, a passport-sized photograph in JPG format is required. For over the counter application, your photo will be taken on-site. If you are applying on behalf of applicant, a hardcopy photograph of the applicant is required.
- The International Driving Permit (IDP) must be used in conjunction with the Singapore Driving Licence when driving overseas.
- Should your Singapore Driving Licence be defaced or if the residency status in your Singapore Driving Licence is different from your NRIC, please contact Singapore Traffic Police for a replacement before applying for an International Driving Permit. You are able to apply for an IDP with the acknowledgement slip from Traffic Police while waiting for the replacement of your Singapore Driving Licence. If you are required to go overseas before receiving your Singapore Driving Licence, please obtain an extract from Traffic Police. An extract fee is applicable.
- The IDP is valid in the territory of all the Contracting States of Convention on Road Traffic of 19 September 1949.
- Click here for a list of countries in which the 1949 IDP is recognised.
- The issuance of an IDP is restricted to the applicant holding a valid driving licence.
- A valid Singapore driving licence must accompany the IDP at all times when driving overseas.
- The IDP issued is NOT VALID for use in Singapore or the IDP holder’s home country to which the IDP holder is transferring his residency.
- The IDP is VOID when the IDP holder gives up his/her Singapore Citizenship or Singapore Permanent Residency, or does not have a valid Singapore employment pass/S-pass/work permit.
- The IDP is valid for one (1) year from date of issue and is NOT RENEWABLE.
- Signature of IDP holder is required on the line directly beneath the photograph.
Reminder: For those going to a country for any reason other than leisure travel, and staying for a period longer than 3 months, please contact the respective Embassy or Consulate Office of the country of destination to obtain more information on driving licence requirements.
Ways to Apply for IDP
Note: The IDP processing and delivery via local registered mail^^ will take 10 working days. Postal delivery may be longer during festive period.
If you need to get your IDP in less than 10 working days, we encourage you to walk-in to our outlet and apply over the counter. You can get IDP on the spot. Kindly note that there will be no refund for duplicate application.
Our online payment is accepted via PayPal. Do not have PayPal account? No worries! Simply check out as Guest to make payment using your credit card.
Before applying online, please ensure the following documents are ready:
- A copy of your Singapore driving licence (front and back).
- A copy of your NRIC (front and back) for Singaporeans / Permanent Residents.
- A copy of employment pass/FIN Card (front and back) for foreigners.
- A clear coloured passport photograph of the IDP applicant in plain light background
- Taken within last 2 years
- Image resolution is sharp and clear
- Taken full face.
Photographs with watermark will be rejected and the application will be delayed.
^^ IDP is not mailed overseas
“For Local Registered Mail service, an additional $4 will be added to your cart prior to checkout. Please note that SingPost will return the item to the nearest Post Office should attempted delivery fails at the provided address. AA Singapore is not responsible for lost or redirected mail.” The mail will be returned to AA Singapore after 10 working days from the date of delivery date.
Over the Counter
Kindly bring along your Singapore Driving Licence and NRIC/FIN personally and a passport size image of you will be captured on-site upon application. If you are applying on behalf of the applicant, a hardcopy photograph of the applicant is required besides a copy of Singapore Driving Licence and NRIC/FIN of the applicant.
For walk-in application: The processing time is within 1 hour and IDP is collected on the spot.
|AA @ GB Point||AA @ 51 AMK|
535 Kallang Bahru
Click here to view map.
Mon to Fri: 8.30am – 5.30pm, last submission at 5.15pm
51 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3
Click here to view map.
Mon to Sun: 10am – 10pm, last submission at 9.45pm